1 large eggplant, very thinly sliced – think Paper!
1 large onion, chopped
1- 1½ cups cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package Italian Veggie Ground Round
fresh basil, coarsely chopped
2-2½ cups low fat Mozzarella cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the onions,
garlic and Italian ground round. Sauté until the onions are
translucent and the ground round is cooked through (about 5
minutes or so).
2. In the meantime, baste the eggplant slices with olive oil
and broil until they are brown around the edges and soft in the
center (about 2-3 minutes per side). Remove from oven.
3. Lower the heat to 350°F/180°C
4. Layer the “lasagna” in an ovenproof dish as follows:
• Thin layer of tomato sauce
• Layer of eggplant slices
• Thin layer of grated mozzarella
• All the ground round mixture
• Thin layer of sauce
• All the ricotta, evenly spread over the sauce
• Layer of fresh basil
• Rest of the eggplant (I saved a few pieces for garnish)
• More sauce
• Lots of mozzarella
• Sprinkle some parmesan cheese
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The top will be golden and it will
be bubbling around the edges.
Serve with salad.