Pasta with Anchovies and Sardines
- prep time 0 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 4
½ cup golden raisins
1 small fennel, bulb
4 anchovy, fillets
½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind
8 fresh sardine, dressed, (about 1 pound)
¼ cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 finely chopped onion
¼ cup pine nuts
1 pinch salt
12 ounces bucatini, or other thick long pasta
1. In small bowl, soak raisins in hot water; set aside.
2. Cut top stems off fennel, reserving feathery greens. Cut lengthwise into quarters.
3. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook fennel for 8 minutes. Drain and let cool.
4. Cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes and place in separate bowl.
5. Using chef's knife, mince anchovies; add to fennel along with parsley, garlic and lemon rind; set aside.
6. Dredge sardines in flour.
7. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook sardines for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove sardines to paper towel lined plate.
8. Add onion to skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until starting to colour.
9. Add pine nuts and drained raisins; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
10. Add salt and fennel mixture; cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until fennel and onion are very tender.
11. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm.
12. Drain and add to skillet; toss to coat with sauce.
13. Place in large serving bowl, arrange sardines around edge.
14. Sprinkle with reserved feathery greens.