Pavlova with Mangos, Lychee Nuts, and Raspberries
- prep time 20 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 8-10
½ cup egg whites, at room temperature (from about 4 eggs)
⅒ tsp cream of tartar
⅒ tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
1 mango, peeled and cut up
1 can Lychee nuts, fresh or canned and drained
½ pint raspberries
2 kiwi, peeled
sugar to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a clean, dry bowl until foamy. Add the granulated sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and vinegar and continue whipping until stiff, smooth, and glossy, about 8 minutes more. Place in a pastry bag with a large plain tip.
3. Line the sheet pan with the parchment. Pipe 2 ½ inch wide disks of meringue ontot the sheet pan in rows spaced evenly apart (they will expand so leave some room in between) Using the back of the spoon swirl the meringue to form a few peaks on each disk.
4. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300 degrees and bake until the meringue has puffed up and cracked on the top and the surface is lightly browned to the color of café au lait, about 30 minutes more
5. To make the kiwi sauce, puree the peeled cut up kiwi slightly (if you do it too much it with pulverize the seeds and make the sauce look likes it’s pepper-laden) then pass it through a fine strainer. Add sugar to taste and chill.
6. Whip the cream and brown sugar together until stiff. Spoon it in the center of the cooled pavlovas. Top with slices of mango, Lychee nuts and raspberries. To serve, spoon some kiwi sauce on the plate and place down the pavlova.