- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 2
1 Pomegranate, seeded and juiced, (or ½ cup of pomegranate juice)
Juice of 5 limes, reserving 1 small wedge to moisten glasses
Kosher salt, for rims of glasses
3 oz gold tequila (90 ml)
1 oz orange-flavoured liqueur, like Cointreau or Grand Marnier (30 ml)
1 tsp powdered sugar (5 ml)
Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
1. Chill two long-stemmed glasses.
2. Juice the pomegranate by rolling it under the heel of your hand, using enough pressure to soften the fruit. Carefully cut a 1-inch slit in the skin (if you do it under running water the juice won’t splatter.) Over a wide-mouthed glass, squeeze out as much juice as possible. Split the fruit apart and remove the seeds, reserving about 2 tbsp. of intact seeds for garnish.
3. Place the seeds in a large resealable plastic bag, and press down on the seeds with the heel of your hand to extract the rest of the juice. Strain out the seeds. All together, you should have about ½ cup of pomegranate juice.
4. Salt the rims of the glasses by rubbing the reserved lime wedge around them, then dipping them in kosher salt.
5. Combine the pomegranate juice, tequila, liqueur, lime juice, sugar, and a handful of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker, and a shake vigorously until it’s all frothy.
6. Strain into glasses, and garnish with the reserved pomegranate seeds.