Quick and Nutritious Spinach Dip
- prep time 10 min
- total time 13 min
- serves 8
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small clove garlic (optional)
1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
1 cup shredded old Canadian Cheddar or Canadian Havarti cheese
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon pepper or hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water (approx.)
Baby carrots, carrot sticks or other raw vegetables pieces
1. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine chickpeas, garlic (if using) and spinach. Pulse until chickpeas and spinach are finely chopped, scraping sides of bowl if necessary.
2. Add cheese, lemon juice and pepper and pulse until evenly combined. Gradually add enough of the water to thin the dip to desired consistency.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with carrots for dipping.
4. For a warm dip, transfer to a small baking dish. Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven or toaster oven for about 20 minutes or until warmed through.
5. To microwave, transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on Medium (50 %) power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once, or until warmed through.
6. Serve with carrots for dipping.