Red Borscht with Braised Cabbage and Dill Lemon Sour Cream
- prep time 0 min
- total time 192 min
- serves 6
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, large dice
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
4 clove garlic, smashed
2 bay leaves
4 sprig thyme
1 ham hock
5 large beets, peeled, 4 whole, 1 finely diced
8 cup veal stock
1 large beet, finely diced
¼ cup red wine vinegarBraised Cabbage
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 green cabbage, julienned using a mandolin
½ cup white wine
1 cup veal stock
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 carrot, juliennedDill Lemon Sour Cream
1 cup sour cream
zest of 1 lemon
juice of ½ lemon
1 Tbsp dill, choppedAssembly
Dill Lemon Sour Cream
¼ cup Dill picked for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, sauté until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients to pot, except for finely diced beets and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 2-2½ hours until meat from ham hock falls off the bone.
3. Remove ham hock, strain broth, add finely diced beet, simmer until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Add red wine vinegar, adjust seasoning, cover and hold at a simmer until ready for serving.Braised Cabbage
1. Heat oil in a large Le Creuset Braiser with a lid, over medium heat. Add cabbage, cook until wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
2. Add white wine, add veal stock and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
3. Remove Braised Cabbage from heat, add white wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper.Julienned Carrot
1. Place julienned carrot in a small pot. Cover with cold water, seasoned with salt. Simmer and remove from heat.
2. Strain carrots and reserve for garnishing Borscht.Dill Lemon Sour Cream
1. In a bowl, mix ingredients together, cover and place in fridge for assembly.Assembly
1. Spoon Braised Cabbage in bowls.
2. Ladle Borscht Broth around cabbage.
3. Place 1 tablespoon of Julienned Carrot on Braised Cabbage.
4. Dollop with Dill Lemon Sour Cream and garnish with picked dill.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site