Rhubarb and Rosewater Eton Mess
- prep time 15 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 4
4 large egg whites
200 g golden caster sugar
1 pinch saltRhubarb Compote
100 mL boiling water
3 Tbsp golden caster sugar
4 sticks of rhubarb (approx 450g) chopped in rounds
1 tsp rose waterCream
500 mL double cream
1 vanilla podServing Suggestion
Toasted almond slivers and crystallised rose petals
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C FAN OVEN/GAS 1.
2. In a clean bowl or mixer whisk the egg whites until they reach firm peaks.
3. Gradually mix in the sugar and salt and whisk well until the mixture is thick white and glossy. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
4. Line a large baking tray with non stick baking parchment – use a little dab of the meringue mixture to stick it down.
5. Spoon the mixture into blobs on your baking tray leaving a generous gap between them. Bake for 1 hour.Rhubarb Compote
1. Whilst the meringues are baking, make the rhubarb compote. In a pan, boil the water with the sugar and add the rhubarb when it starts bubbling. Stir and let it cook for about 5 minutes on a medium heat. When the rhubarb is tender, remove from the heat. Add the rose water and leave to the side.Cream
1. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
2. Split the vanilla pod down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Stir them into the whipped cream.Serving Suggestion
1. Place the cooled meringues on the serving plate, breaking a few of them up and leaving a few whole. Spoon the cream over the top, then drizzle the compote on top of the cream.
2. Lightly toast some almond slivers in a frying pan (nothing added) and sprinkle them over the top, delicately decorate with a few crystallised rose petals before sharing with your beloved.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site