Roasted Beet Salad with Fresh Cheese
- serves 6
Recipe byConnie DeSousa from Top Chef Canada Episode 12.
½ lb(s) red beets, washed
½ lb(s) yellow beets, washed
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup basil, leaves picked
¼ cup mint, leaves picked
2 cup arugula
4 cup whole milk
2 cup 35% cream
½ cup plain yogurt
2 rennet tablets, dissolved in 3tbsp cold waterAssembly
Roasted Beet Salad
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place beets in a Le Creuset Stainless Steel Roasting Pan.
3. Add ¼ cup olive oil, orange juice and ½ of lemon juice. Season with salt.
4. Cover pan with tin foil and roast until tender, approximately 1 hour.
5. Peel beets, cut into wedges and place in a large bowl. Reserve cooking liquid from roasting pan.
6. To make dressing, mix 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid, remaining lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, whisk.
7. Place arugula and herbs in bowl with roasted beets.
8. Before serving add desired amount of dressing, toss and set aside.Fresh Cheese
1. Heat milk, cream and yogurt in a pot over low heat to100F.
2. Add dissolved rennet tablets, stir into milk mixture for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
3. Set aside and rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
4. Cut curds in a cross hatch pattern and rest for 10 minutes.
5. Pour mixture through a strainer lined with cheese cloth.
6. Press to drain excess liquid, approximately 15 minutes.
7. Set aside for assembly.Assembly
1. Place equal amounts of beets on each plate.
2. Place 2 dollops of Fresh Cheese on either side of Roasted Beets.
3. Place equal amounts of arugula over beets and serve.