Root Vegetable Gratin
- prep time 20 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 6-8
This harvest-style gratin is perfect for cooler weather. Can be served as a side or the star of dinner.
4 cup (1 l) potatoes, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cup (500 ml) rutabaga, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 ml) parsnips, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 ml) carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 ml) sodium-reduced beef broth
¼ cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
1 pinch freshly ground pepper
6 oz (180 g) Canadian Provolone, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large, oven-safe baking dish or in individual gratin dishes, layer the vegetables, alternating with half the sliced Provolone.
3. Mix the beef broth with parsley and pepper. Pour into dish(es).
4. Top with remaining cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Bake in oven 60 minutes, remove foil and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the cheese browned.
6. Note: For even thinner slices of vegetables, use a mandoline.