Samosas with Potato and Peas (Aloo Mattar Samosas)
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 24
¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
4 medium potatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) fresh ginger, minced
1 medium onion, finely diced
2-3 tsp (10-15 mL) garam masala
1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper, or to taste
Kosher salt to taste
3 Tbsp (50 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pkg (397 g) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 400° degrees (200 Celsius). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cook unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until fork tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough, peel potatoes (the back of a paring knife should work fine) and chop into a ¼ -inch( 1 cm) dice. Set aside.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a large, high-sided sauté pan to medium-high. Cook the onion until softened, but not browned. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring until softened and fragrant. Add garam masala, turmeric and cayenne and mix well.
4. Add potatoes and mix to coat potatoes with masala mixture. Cook until potatoes start to brown slightly. Add the frozen peas and salt, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes, or until peas have softened and potatoes are fully cooked through. Garnish with fresh coriander. Mix to combine. Cool.
5. Dust rolling surface with flour, and roll puff pastry out to a rectangle, about 1/8” thickness, with the longer side at the top. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut dough into 12 equal squares.
6. Place a tablespoonful (15 mL) of the potato mixture in the corner of square. Pull the opposite diagonal corner over to seal the package, brushing on the egg wash as glue. Continue in the same manner for the rest of the squares. Arrange on baking sheets, leaving space for the rising dough.
7. Before baking, brush the tops of the samosas with egg wash and bake until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm with tamarind chutney.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site