Sausage and Herb Stuffing
- prep time25 min
- total time 82 min
- serves 8 - 10
2008, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved.
16 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough (1 1/2-lb loaf)
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (2 onions)
1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced
2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
¾ lb(s) sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
2. Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350ºF. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
4. In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
5. Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.