Shrimp Tortilla Soup
- serves 8
This Mexican/southwest-inspired soup features large shrimp alongside chopped veggies, tomatoes, avocado, red onion and black beans.
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder, plus more if needed
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp kosher salt, plus more if needed
24 peeled large shrimp
½ cup tequila
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups (32 oz) low-sodium vegetable stock
2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10-oz) can chopped tomatoes with green chiles, such as Ro*tel
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Tbsp cornmeal or masa
Cooking spray or neutral oil, for oiling the grill pan
5 corn tortillas, cut into 2- to 3-inch strips
Diced avocado, for garnish
Diced red onion, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Mix the cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder and salt together in a small bowl. Sprinkle half the mixture over the shrimp in a large bowl along with 1/4 cup of the tequila and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Toss to coat the shrimp well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill. Reserve the remaining spice mix.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and the remaining spice mix and cook for another minute. Add the stock, black beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
3. Mix the cornmeal or masa with a small amount of water in a bowl. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check the seasonings, adding more chili powder if it needs more spice and more salt if needed. Turn off the heat, add the remaining 1/4 cup tequila and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
4. Meanwhile, grill the shrimp: Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray or brush with oil. Shake off any excess marinade and grill the shrimp until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Five minutes before serving, gently stir the tortilla strips into the soup.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top each bowl with 3 shrimp and some avocado, red onion, sour cream, cilantro leaves and lime wedges.