Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Rice and Italian Veggies
- prep time15 min
- total time 15 min
- serves 5
Delicious butter chicken that takes minutes to prep and is waiting for you to come home!
You might also like these Best-Ever Butter Chicken Recipes.
½ cup cashews (125 mL)
tsp garam masala (10 mL)
tsp coriander (10 mL)
½ tsp chili powder (2 mL)
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast)
1 tsp sesame or peanut oil (5 mL)
¼ cup butter, melted (60 mL)
Toasted cashew mixture
2 tsp paprika (10 mL)
tsp prepared garlic (10 mL)
tsp prepared ginger (10 mL)
Pinch of cinnamon and cardamom powder
1 small onion
¾ cup chicken stock (175 mL)
½ cup tomato paste (125 mL)
½ cup yogurt (or sour cream) (125 mL)
1 cup 1% milk (250 mL)
¼ cup Half and Half cream (10% milk fat) (60 mL)
2 Tbsp vinegar (30 mL)
1 Tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce (15 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
2 celery stalks
1 small red pepper
1 English cucumber
1 cup washed baby carrots
1 Tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (15 mL)
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning (15 mL)
1 to 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1. Smash cashews with a hammer and add to large nonstick fry pan. Add spice, stir and brown nuts and spices until you see a little smoke. Immediately remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. In the same pan, heat oil at med-high and sear chicken on both sides. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. Add the following ingredients in this order: melted butter, the toasted cashew mixture, paprika, garlic, ginger and spices. Finely chop onion and add to pan as you cut.
3. Add chicken stock, tomato paste and yogurt, then stir to combine. Stir in milk and cream.
4. Add vinegar, chili sauce and salt. Stir then leave center crock in fridge overnight.
5. Turn slow cooker on to low in the morning.
6. When Bruce arrives home, prepare rice.
7. Wash and chop celery, pepper and cucumber. Place veggies in a medium size bowl.
8. Toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and spice. Let stand in fridge.