1 Tbsp butter
⅔ cup minced onions
4 oz (120 g) turkey bacon, chopped (about 7 slices)
1 cup finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
½ cup frozen sweet green peas
1 can (14 oz/380 mL) 2% evaporated milk
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
½ tsp dry mustard powder
1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese (4 oz/120 g)
1 cup packed shredded 4-cheese blend (4 oz/120 g; see Tip)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni
1. You will need a deep, 10-inch, oven-safe non-stick skillet. Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and chopped bacon.
2. Cook slowly, stirring often, until bacon is lightly browned and onions are golden. This will take a good 10 minutes. (You may want to get the macaroni cooking at this time.)
3. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until tender. Stir in peas until heated through
4. Preheat broiler. In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, flour and dry mustard. Add to bacon and veggies in skillet. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and has thickened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 of the cheddar and 3/4 of the 4-cheese blend. Stir until cheeses are melted. Add pepper. Add well-drained macaroni and mix until well-coated with sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheddar and remaining 4-cheese blend over top.
6. Place skillet under broiler until cheeses are melted and lightly browned.