1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
3. Plunge potatoes into the water and simmer for 15 minutes or so, until a skewer can be inserted easily.
4. They should be just cooked through but not soft.
6. Transfer to a greased baking sheet.
7. Using a large, flat meat tenderizer or a heavy-bottomed pot, smash each one with into a thick pancake shape.
8. Brush the tops with oil and season with salt and pepper.
9. Bake on the top rack of the oven until golden and crisp, about 25 minutes.
10. Turn the broiler on and broil for 5 minutes.
11. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.