Spinach Pesto and Ricotta
- prep time1 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 4
Creamy ricotta blended with savoury spinach pesto is simply delicious on a bed of pasta.
5 cup fusilli pasta
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 10 oz bag fresh spinach, trimmed
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp lemon, juice
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm.
2. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking water, drain pasta and return to pot.
3. Meanwhile, in large skillet or Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
4. Stir in spinach and basil; cover and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Uncover and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
6. Transfer to food processor.
7. Add remaining butter, salt and pepper; puree until smooth.
8. Add reserved pasta water; blend well.
9. Add spinach mixture to pasta along with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and lemon juice; toss to combine.
10. Serve each with dollop of remaining ricotta; sprinkle with pine nuts.