Starvin' Guy Chicken Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup diced onions
½ cup diced celery
1 tsp minced garlic
3 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
¾ cup frozen mixed peas and carrots, thawed
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp poultry seasoning
1 ¾ cup chicken broth
1 cup cream-style corn
1 cup 2% evaporated milk
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
½ cup packed grated light Swiss cheese (2 oz/57 g)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 large rotisserie chicken, meat cut into chunks (light and dark meat)Biscuit Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup buttermilk
¾ cup mashed/puréed cooked sweet potato (canned is fine)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place eight 7-oz ramekins on a baking sheet lined with foil and set aside.
2. To make filling, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large non-stick pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add celery and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender. Stir in peas and carrots, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Cook 1 more minute. Add broth and corn and let mixture simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together evaporated milk and flour until smooth. Add to pot. Cook and stir until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley and stir until cheese melts. Stir in cut-up chicken. Cover and keep warm.Biscuit Topping
1. To make biscuit topping, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sweet potato, and 2 tbsp of the melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir gently until a ball is formed.
2. With floured hands, transfer biscuit dough to a lightly floured surface and press out or roll dough to about 1/3-inch thickness. Using 21/2-inch-round cookie cutter, cut dough into circles just slightly smaller than the top of your ramekins.
3. Fill ramekins with warm chicken mixture and top with biscuit. Brush tops of biscuit with remaining melted butter. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until filling bubbles and biscuits are puffed up a golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. They’re very hot!
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site