Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 8
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup vegetable shortening
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp to 5 tbsp cold waterFruit
4 cup rhubarb, chopped
2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
dash saltCrumble Topping
⅔ cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ cup unsalted butter, meltedTo Assemble
1. For pastry combine flour with salt. Cut in butter and shortening until a roughly even crumbly texture. Add lemon juice and water and blend just until dough comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a circle large enough to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Line pan with pastry, trim and cinch edges. Chill until ready to fill.
3. Toss rhubarb and strawberries with sugar, cornstarch, spices and salt to coat. Fill pie shell with fruit.
4. For crumble topping, combine flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt. Stir in melted butter just until crumbly and spread over fruit. Bake pie on a tray at 400° F for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F and bake for about 40 minutes more, until filling is bubbling. If crust edge is browning too quickly, cover edges with a thin strip of tin foil.
5. Yield: 1 9-inch pie. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site