Sweet & Savoury Babka
- serves 4 - 6
Refrigerated crescent roll dough is filled with salty prosciutto, crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and dates.
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium yellow onion
¼ cup chopped walnut pieces
10 pitted dates
¼ cup flour
1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescents
5 slices smoked prosciutto ham
¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
1 Tbsp liquid honey
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat butter on low in small pan. Slice onion and add to melted butter, stir throughout preparation until onion in softened and browned (about 20 minutes).
3. Place walnut pieces on parchment lined sheet and bake until toasted (4-5 minutes).
4. Chop dates and set aside.
5. On a pastry mat or clean counter, sprinkle flour to make a large rectangular work area.
6. Unroll Crescent Rolls onto area. Use a rolling pin to smooth out lines on the dough, creating a smooth rectangle from the dough.
7. Add an even layer of ham, sautéed onions, dates, walnuts, and crumbled blue cheese.
8. Starting from one longer edge, roll dough into a long, thin cylinder shape.
9. With a sharp knife, cut the centre of the roll, leaving one inch connected on one end. Braid the two pieces together, keeping the filling exposed on the top. Twist the braid into a loose circle.
10. Place twist on the parchment lined sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are light brown and centre of twist is cooked.
11. Remove from oven and immediately drizzle honey over entire twist.
12. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Molly Bonko