Crème Caramel is a baked custard dessert. This is my version of the Ultimate Crème Caramel – it’s definitely smooth and creamy! Cook the custards in a water bath and be careful not to over cook the custard or cook it at a high temperature or else it may curdle on you.
vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp. vanilla extract (5 ml)
cup sugar (150 ml)
cup shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts, chopped (60 ml)
cup sugar (125 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the water and sugar in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pot. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Tilt pan to ensure that sugar is dissolved. Do not stir the mixture or the sugar will crystallize. Increase heat to high and cook until sugar turns amber in colour.
3. Pour liquid caramel into six 3-inch (6 ounce) ramekins, dividing equally and tilting ramekins to cover the bottoms with the caramel.
1. Over medium heat, bring milk just to a boil in medium saucepan with salt and scraped vanilla bean. Remove from heat and cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
2. Stir together eggs and egg yolk in a medium bowl until well blended. Add warm milk and stir. Strain the mixture over a large measuring cup or clean bowl and pour or ladle over caramel-lined ramekins.
3. Transfer ramekins to a baking pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in preheated oven until a tester comes out clean when inserted in the centers and the crème caramel jiggles as one, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove ramekins from bath. Let cool to room temperature. Garnish with shards of the Pistachio Praline.
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add sugar and pistachio nuts to a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, tilting the pan (do not stir), until the sugar melts and turns a rich brown caramel colour. Remove from heat immediately and pour onto prepared baking sheet. Let cool completely. Once cooled, break into shards for garnish.