Three-Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake
- prep time 10 min
- total time 65 min
- serves 16
1 cup unsweetened cocoa, powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted, and, cooled
3 cup sifted cake-and-pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch saltChocolate Icing
1 ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 cup icing sugar
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted, and, cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Grease three 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; set aside.
3. In bowl, whisk cocoa powder with 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling water until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
4. In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Beat in vanilla.
7. On low speed, beat in melted chocolate.
8. In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
9. Using wooden spoon, stir into chocolate mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, making three additions of flour mixture and two of cocoa mixture. Divide among prepared pans.
10. Bake in centre of oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
11. Let cool in pans on racks for 15 minutes.
12. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 1 day or over-wrapped in foil and frozen in rigid airtight container for up to 1 month.)
13. Peel paper from one of the cake layers; place on plate.
14. Spread top with 1 cup (250 mL) of the Chocolate Icing.
15. Repeat with second layer.
16. Top with last layer; spread top and side with remaining icing.Chocolate Icing
1. In bowl and with electric beaters, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cream.
2. Beat in vanilla.
3. Beat in icing sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time.
4. Beat in melted chocolate until fluffy and smooth.