- prep time 1 min
- total time 10 min
- serves 8
5 baking potato, (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2 sweet potato, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 small onion, quartered
4 egg, beaten
⅓ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
vegetable oil, for cooking
1. Peel baking and sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into quarters.
2. By hand or in food processor using shredder blade, alternately shred onions and potatoes.
3. Transfer to colander; squeeze out as much moisture as possible, discarding liquid.
4. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
5. In 2 skillets, heat 1/4 inch (5 mm) oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
6. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) mixture per latke, leaving space between each; flatten slightly.
7. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned and crisp around edges; turn and cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or until crisp and golden. Transfer to paper towel-lined racks to drain well.
8. Repeat with remaining mixture, stirring to reblend, removing any cooked bits from skillet and adding more oil as necessary. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours; recrisp in 450ºF/230ºC oven for about 5 minutes.)