Vegetable Escabeche Dona Vito
- prep time 1 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Juan Salinas, Christine's Sous Chef.
3 cup white button mushroom
1 ½ tsp salt
½ cup water
2 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
¼ cup olive oil
6 bay leaf
8 sprigs fresh thyme
8 sprigs fresh marjoram
1 Tbsp dried marjoram
1 sprig fresh rosemary
5 whole cloves
2 pickled Serrano pepper, deseeded, and, cut into strips
¼ tsp very coarse cracked black pepper
½ cinnamon, stick
½ cup cider vinegar
3 cup water
1 small cauliflower, cut, into, florets
½ lb. green beans, blanched
4 carrot, peeled, and, sliced
1. Clean mushrooms.
2. Place mushrooms and 1½ tsp. salt into a hot, dry pot and stir a minute or two.
3. Add 1/2 cup water and cover immediately.
4. Let sit for 3 minutes then stir.
5. Let steam for about 8 minutes without stirring.
6. In a large pot sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
7. Add spices and stir.
8. Add vinegar and 3 cups of water.
9. Add brown sugar if desired.
10. Bring to a boil and season with salt.
11. Add cauliflower to the pot and cook until tender.
12. Remove the cauliflower and reserve in serving bowl.
13. Add carrots to the pot and cook until tender.
14. Remove and add to bowl. Continue process with the steamed mushrooms and green beans.
15. Pour the cooking liquid over the vegetables. Serve hot or cold.