Vegetarian Tourtiere with Cheddar
- prep time30 min
- total time 85 min
- serves 8
Leave the meat behind and whip up a warm and flavourful vegetarian tourtiere, packed with vegetables, cheese, herbs and spices.
Courtesy of Alison Kent.
10 oz (300 mL) cremini or white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter
1 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 leek (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 Yukon Gold potato, peeled and coarsely grated
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
½ tsp (2 mL) each ground allspice, dried thyme and salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground cloves and pepper
1 ½ cups Black Diamond Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
2 frozen 9-inch (23 cm) deep-dish pie shells, thawed
1. In a food processor, pulse mushrooms and chickpeas until finely chopped.
2. In a sauté pan or wide saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat; fry mushroom mixture, celery, leek and carrot, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato, broth, allspice, thyme, salt, cloves and pepper; cook until mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; let cool for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cheese. In a small bowl, beat eggs; stir all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) into mushroom mixture. Beat 1 tsp (5 mL) water into remaining egg to make egg wash. Spoon filling into one of the pie shells; lightly brush edge with some of the egg wash. Invert remaining pie shell over filling; remove from its foil liner. Pinch shells together; flute or use tines of a fork to press and seal edges.
4. Brush top of pie with remaining egg wash. Cut 3 steam vents in top. Bake in bottom third of 400°F (200°C) oven until deep golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes; cut into wedges.
5. Tip: Serve warm or at room temperature with chili sauce or your favourite chutney.