Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
- prep time60 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 0
This is a rich savoury bread pudding that would take the place of potatoes or rice at a dinner. Perfect with a steak or even roast salmon. Courtesy of Weston Bakeries.
2 slices Country Harvest Carrot Celery and Leek Veggie Bread, cubed
¼ cup pancetta, chopped
1 leek, finely sliced (white part only)
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 cup assorted mushrooms, chopped and sliced
fresh marjoram, chopped
⅓ cup 35% cream
¼ cup chicken stock
½ cup Gruyere cheese butter, grated
1. Pre-heat oven to 300ºF.
2. Toast 1 cup bread cubes made from 2 slices of Country Harvest Carrot Celery and Leek Veggie Bread in the oven until golden and then place in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan over high heat, sear chopped pancetta until fat has rendered and it has crisped. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
4. In same pan over medium high heat and sauté finely sliced leek (white part only) and minced garlic until translucent. Add in assorted chopped mushrooms and sauté until liquid from mushrooms has cooked off. Drain any excess fat. Stir in fresh chopped marjoram and transfer to the bowl with bread cubes.
5. In separate bowl, whisk together egg, 35% cream, chicken stock and grated Gruyere cheese then pour over bread mixture gently stirring to combine. Transfer to 2 buttered ramekins and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Can also be baked in a casserole.
6. Options: For vegetarian version, eliminate the pancetta and replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
7. Tip: Mushrooms can range from the easy to find white button mushrooms to more exotic shitake or chanterelles.