This epic Montreal-style sandwich is a riff on the Italian classic known as the Muffuletta. Layers of savoury Montreal smoked meat, turkey, cheese, spicy mustard, briny pickles and crunchy veggies come together to create a flavour combination that will quickly become your go-to for weekday lunches and game day gatherings. Look for a flavourful white cheese made in Québec (like Chèvre Noir) for the most authentic Montreal experience!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1/3 cup chopped dill pickles
1/3 cup chopped pickled pepperoncini peppers
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large sourdough boule (600 g)
1 Tbsp spicy deli-style mustard
4 slices semi soft cheese
400g thinly sliced Montreal-style smoked meat
200g thinly sliced deli smoked turkey breast
2/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
3 whole pickles, sliced in half
250 mg cream cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
For the Spicy Pickle Sauce:
1. Whirl together pickles, peppers and oil in food processor until almost smooth.
For the Sandwich:
1. Cut top 1/3 off boule horizontally. Hollow out the bottom of the bread, leaving generous 1/2-inch (1 cm) border to form large bread bowl and lid.
2. Spread bottom of bread bowl with spicy mustard; top with pickle mixture.
3. Layer in cheese, Montreal smoked meat and smoked turkey. Top meat with, onions and halved pickles.
4. Spread inside of top of bread with cream cheese; sprinkle with dill.
5. Top with the hollowed out bread top, cream cheese side down. (Tip: Wrap sandwich tightly with plastic wrap. Press sandwich between two large plates; weight top plate down with can. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.)
6. Cut into wedges to serve.
<div class=”embeddedPlayer-responsiveIframeContainer”> </div>