When the temps are chilly and work days long, we can’t help but constantly crave a cup of coffee to warm us up, and perk us up. And for every long winter day we’re able to make it through, we feel like a rewarding treat is in order. What better way to complement your cup of Joe and satisfy your 3 p.m. sugar craving than with a slice of homemade apple cinnamon coffee cake? Here’s my simple step-by-step guide to making this delectable winter-perfect treat.
What You Need
Serving Size: 1 cakePrep Time: 60 minutesCook Time: 45 minutes
For the Top and Centre Streusel:3/4 cup flour1/3 cup packed light brown sugar1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon1/4 tsp. salt8 tbsp. unsalted butter
For the Cake:2 cups all-purpose flour1 tsp. baking powder1/2 tsp. baking soda1/2 tsp. fine sea salt3/4 cup granulated sugar2 eggs1 tsp. pure vanilla extract1 cup light sour cream1/2 cup butter
For the Apple:1 apple, thinly sliced1/4 cup granulated sugarJuice from 1/2 lemon
For the Glaze:1 cup confectioners sugar4 tbsp. 2% milk
The Top and Centre Streusel
1. Combine the flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in unsalted butter until well blended.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a bundt cake pan with unsalted butter.
3. In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
4. In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed.
5. Beat eggs and vanilla extract in sugar and butter mixture.
6. Beat 1/3 of the flour mixture into the wet mixture until well blended. Then beat in 1/2 cup sour cream and blend, followed by another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the rest of the sour cream, and finally, the remainder of the flour mixture.
7. Mix the sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
8. Sprinkle the streusel mixture into the bottom of the pan, dip apple slices into the sugar-lemon mixture and lay them flat on top of the streusel. Then, pour half the cake batter on top and spread evenly.
9. Sprinkle more of the streusel on top of the cake batter.
10. Add another row of apple slices dipped in the lemon-sugar mixture, and spread the remainder of the cake batter on top.
11. Sprinkle a little more of the streusel on top and bake for about 45 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
12. The cake should be lightly golden when it’s done. Let it cool for about 20 minutes, then carefully flip it over onto a platter and remove the tin.
13. Mix the confectioners sugar and milk in a small bowl, transfer it to an icing bag, and quickly drip the glaze over the cake.
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
14. Pour yourself a coffee and Baileys.
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
15. Serve warm or at room temperature.