A couple of weeks ago I featured The Glow Salad, based on the amazing Glow Box from the hot lunch spot IQ in Toronto’s Financial District. This week, I’m featuring my favourite pick from their menu; the Lima Box. My version of this dish is a healthier, less expensive alternative to what they offer at IQ. Composed of quinoa, veggies, chicken, beans, and no added salt, the Lima Plate is a deliciously nutritious and filling option to make ahead and pack for weekday lunches.
What You Need
Serving Size: 2 meals
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
1 chicken breast (and desired seasoning for cooking, like Cumin and Paprika)
1/2 cup quinoa
1/8 cabbage, shredded (and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, pinch of sugar for the pickling)
1/3 cup black beans
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 japapeno, sliced
1/3 cup aged white cheddar, shredded
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Cook the Chicken and Red Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the chicken breast on a pan, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and season as desired. Do the same with the red pepper. Cook for about 45-60 minutes.
Pickle the Cabbage
2. Shred the cabbage as finely as possible and transfer to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Mix well.
The Black Beans
3. Soak the black beans and set aside.
4. Cook the quinoa as advised on the package and mix with your favourite hot sauce.
Cut, Chop & Shred
5. Prep the rest of the ingredients: slice the tomatoes, jalapenos, and lime, shred the cheese, and chop the cilantro.
6. Have all the ingredients fully prepped and ready to go for the assembly.
7. In order for the plate to remain fresh until you’re ready to eat it, keep the ingredients separate, and mix them all together just before eating.
8. Squeeze lime juice over the plate.
Mix It Up
9. If desired, drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the entire meal.
The Lima Plate
10. Mix it all together.