Bananas—our go-to fruit for smoothies, dessert bread, and of course, ice cream sundaes. But we’re always trying to discover new, delectable ways to bake with them.
Because bananas are one of those rare fruits that always seem to be in season, it only makes sense to find more ways to eat them!
So we’ve gathered some of the most delicious, OMG-inducing recipes featuring everyone’s fave yellow fruit. Whether you’re in the mood for an extra-sweet breakfast dish, deep fried dessert, or a sweet-and-salty snack, here are three new ways to start baking with bananas.
One: Sometimes we get introduced to a new and exciting dish that’s so darn good, we can’t believe we never thought of it before. Like this, Banana Bread French Toast.
Two: For a stellar recipe you’ve probably never tried, check out these Banana Rum Fritters with Chocolate Sauce and Coconut-Rolled Ice Cream. Warning: you might be tempted to make this every week.
Three: Well, we’ve done it. We’ve put pretty well covered anything you’d ever want in a dessert, into one, single cookie. I mean, does it get any better than chocolate, peanut butter, and banana? You have to try our recipe for Banana Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle!
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup ripe, mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 bananas)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add the peanut butter and beat, and then the eggs and beat. Mix in the bananas, and then fold in the dry ingredients and mix.
- Measure out 1 Tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball, place on baking sheet and then using a fork, and press a crisscross pattern into each ball, making them about half an inch thick.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave, about 60-90 seconds. Stir until smooth, and drizzle over cookies.
Renée Reardin is a lifestyle writer and stylist living in Toronto. To learn more about her, visit www.reneereardin.com, and follow her on Twitter @reneereardin.