Strata, a savoury bread pudding, is the perfect way to pack everything you could ever want for breakfast into one tasty dish. This all-in-one breakfast bake will make Christmas morning a breeze; you can prep the entire dish the night before and bake while everyone is opening up their presents. It’s an easy way to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with family!
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
6 bacon slices, diced
4 breakfast sausages, casings removed and meat crumbled
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes
4 cups spinach
3 cups milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1/2 Italian bread loaf, sliced into 2” cubes, about 4 cups (200 g)
Butter, for pan
1. Grease a large baking dish (9 x 13”) with butter.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and crumbled sausage pieces. Cook until bacon is crisp, and sausage is cooked through and is starting to turn golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Once cooked, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Drain all but 1 Tbsp of fat from pan.
4. In the same pan, cook onion until soft and golden brown, about 6 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and spinach and cook until tomatoes start to soften and spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
6. In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, Dijon, salt and pepper. Mix in cheese, bread, bacon, sausages and spinach mixture. Pour into prepared pan and cover with plastic wrap.
7. Place in the fridge for two hours, overnight or bake right away.
8. When ready to bake your strata, preheat oven to 350°F. While your oven is preheating, remove strata from the fridge. Bake for 1 hour.