As the weather gets warmer, all I want is ice cream and sweet treats that will keep me cool. This Baking Therapy key lime pie icebox cake is made up of layers of creamy vanilla ice cream, a tangy lime curd and graham crackers that soften to the perfect cake-like texture. The best part is, you won’t even have to turn on the oven!
Key Lime Pie Icebox Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Rest Time: 8 hours or overnight
Total Time: 8 hours, 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10 pieces of cake
2 cups white sugar
4 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 ¼ cup fresh lime and lemon juice (6 limes, 2 lemons)
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
150 mL condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
16-20 graham cracker sheets
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yolks, lime and lemon juice and salt. Heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until hot to the touch. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of butter at a time until the curd begins to thicken. Bring back to a boil, then remove from heat.
2. Strain the lime curd through a fine sieve and into a bowl or shallow dish. Cover with plastic directly on the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to chill.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream and condensed milk until medium peaks, add the vanilla and whip until stiff peaks. Make sure not to over-whip.
4. Line a 10-inch loaf pan with parchment paper with a 1-inch overhang to easily lift the icebox cake out of the pan once its’ frozen. To help the parchment paper adhere to the loaf pan, lightly grease with vegetable oil.
5. Layer one layer of graham cracker on the bottom of the pan. Spread about ½ cup of the ice cream followed by the lime curd, about 1/3 cup. Continue layering until you fill the loaf pan. You should have about 4-5 layers.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight until completely firm.
7. When you are ready to serve, run the outside of the pan under warm water for 10 seconds to loosen the parchment. Using the parchment paper overhang, pull the icebox cake out of the pan. Slice and enjoy!