A take on the classic Christmas pudding, this sticky date Bundt cake is sure to be a crowd pleaser this holiday season. Drizzled with a toffee caramel sauce, it is elegant enough to be served for Christmas but simple enough to be enjoyed over coffee.
Christmas Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Makes: 1 (12-cup) Bundt cake
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter
1 Tbsp molasses
2/3 cup heavy cream
½ tsp salt
2 ½ cups dates, chopped and pitted
1 ¾ cups boiling water
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1. Combine brown sugar, butter and molasses in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat, and stir in heavy cream and salt. Let cool completely.
Tip: When adding heavy cream you can also add a splash of spiced rum or whiskey to toffee sauce, if desired.
1. For the cake, preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine dates, boiling water and baking soda. Cover and let stand 1 hour. In a blender, puree mixture until smooth, about 1 minute.
3. Cream butter and brown sugar with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined. Stir in molasses.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add to butter mixture alternating with pureed date mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack. Brush exterior of cake with toffee sauce and cool completely. Drizzle remaining sauce over cooled cake.
Looking for more inspiration? Try our Show-Stopping Holiday Desserts.