Have some fun on the barbecue this summer with this impressive burger that is big enough to feed a crowd! Filled with all your favourite fixin’s, this gigantic burger is not only fun to look at, but it’s juicy, delicious and satisfying too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
14 ounces pizza dough
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
3 Tbsp sour cream
4 tsp prepared horseradish
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound medium ground beef
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp steak spice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tsp tomato paste
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
5 slices cheddar cheese
5 lettuce leaves
1 beef steak tomato, sliced
6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
1/2 red onion, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll and shape pizza dough into 9-inch round. Place on a parchment-lined pan. Let stand, in a warm place, for 15 minutes or until room temperature.
3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool completely.
1. Meanwhile, stir mayonnaise with sour cream, horseradish, chives, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
1. Gently combine lean ground beef with medium ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, eggs, garlic, steak spice, Worcestershire, mustard, tomato paste and paprika. Shape into a large patty, about 9-inch in diameter and about 1 1/4-inches thick. Transfer to greased rimless plate or baking tray.
2. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat; grease the grate well. Slide patty onto grill. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until well marked. Slide the patty onto a clean plate and cover with a second clean plate. Invert the patty and slide, raw side down, back onto the grill.
3. Reduce the temperature to medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the center of the patty. Top with cheese; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted.
4. Slice the Big Bun in half, horizontally. Spread Horseradish Mayonnaise on both bread halves. Fill with lettuce, tomato, burger, bacon and onion. Cut into 6 wedges. Serve with pickles and waffle fries.
– The mixture can also be portioned into 6 individual patties to make individual burgers.
– If flair-ups occur during grilling, squirt with a spray bottle of water.
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients. Amanda Riva is part of the Blog Network family.