If you’re craving a delicious plant-based jerky with a kick, this mushroom jerky is for you. This Can You Vegan It? recipe takes traditional mushroom jerky up a notch by adding the flavourful and spicy addition of jerk marinade. All of the delicious flavours of scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and allspice are concentrated in that spoonful of store-bought marinade and make this recipe super, super simple and easy to prepare. Whether you’re plant-based or not, the flavours are sure to make you a fan. The best part is a dehydrator is not essential to get a delicious jerky. All you need is a baking tray and some parchment paper. Serve up this mushroom treat with your grain bowls, breakfast sandwiches, salads or on its own as a snack!
Spicy Mushroom Jerky
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rest Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 7 hours, 40 minutes
3 Tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp jerk marinade
1 tsp smoked paprika
8 medium portobello mushrooms
1. In a bowl, whisk together the liquid aminos, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, jerk marinade and smoked paprika. Then set aside.
2. Clean portobello mushrooms and slice into ½-inch pieces.
3. Place the mushrooms into a bowl and pour marinade over the slices. Mix to ensure that each slice is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place marinated mushroom slices on the sheet, ensuring the slices are not crowded.
5. Bake mushrooms for about 1 ½ hours, be sure to check on it halfway through and adjust time if needed.
6. Enjoy in your next grain bowl, breakfast sandwich or on its own as a snack.