Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- prep time15 min
- total time 18 min
- serves 6 - 8
Vegan, no refined sugar, gluten-free.
7 oz pitted Medjool dates (about 10)
¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
¼ cup virgin coconut oil
1 400 mL tin good quality coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 4 hours
2 ripe avocados
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
Fresh raspberries or strawberry halves, for décor
1. Pour boiling water over the dates and let them soak while you are preparing the cocoa.
2. Whisk the cocoa power and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until the oil has melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. Do not shake the tin of coconut milk, but open it and spoon off the coconut cream (it will be thick) into a bowl and chill it. Measure out 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the coconut milk and set aside.
4. Add the dates plus 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the soaking water into the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Cut each avocado in half and scoop them into the food processor, pureeing again until smooth. Add the cocoa mixture, the 1/2 cup (125 mL) of coconut milk, vanilla and salt and puree until smooth. Transfer this to a mixing bowl.
5. Whisk the chilled coconut cream until it is fluffy and firm like whipped cream. Fold in all but 1/3 cup (80 mL) of the whipped coconut cream into the chocolate mixture. Spoon or pipe the mousse into serving glasses and top each with a little of the reserved coconut cream. Top each dessert with a fresh raspberries or strawberries and chill at least an hour before serving.