Biscotti is a classic Italian cookie that’s double baked to make a dunk-able coffee treat. While the classic flavours are delicious, we decided to try something new with six seasonal variations. From a crunchy version jam-packed with pretzels and hazelnut spread, to refined flavours like lemon, rosemary and cranberry, there’s a variation that everyone will enjoy. No matter what your sweet tooth is asking for, it can be found in one of these recipes.
Whip up a batch or two for your holiday hosting, and serve alongside your favourite hot beverage for a delightful after-dinner treat.
2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Stir flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat until mixture is pale, light and fluffy. Add in eggs 1 at a time and then vanilla. Add in dry ingredients in 2 parts while mixing on low speed just until combined.
3. Divide dough in 2 equal portions. Roll into 2 logs, then flatten the top to resemble long rectangles, 2 inches wide and 12 inches long.
4. Bake logs 2 inches apart on baking in the centre rack of oven until logs are firm to touch and bottoms are beginning to golden, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
5. Once logs are cool enough to handle, place them on a cutting board. Slice each log into 1-inch thick pieces on a slight bias. Lay the cut side down on prepared baking sheet and bake until cookies are firm, about 20 minutes.
Cranberry, Lemon and Rosemary
Complete steps 1 and 2. Fold in 1 1/2 cup dried cranberries, zest of 1 lemon and 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped. Proceed with recipe.
Nut and Seed
Complete steps 1 and 2. Fold in 1/2 cup poppy seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 almonds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 pistachios (any combination of nuts and seeds is good). Proceed with recipe.
Hazelnut, Coconut and Pretzel
Stir 1/4 cup of hazelnut spread into dough just until marbled. Add in 3/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut and 3/4 cup roughly chopped pretzels. Proceed with recipe.
Omit 1/4 cup of flour and replace with 2 tsp espresso powder and 1/4 cocoa powder. Proceed with recipe. After steps 1 and 2, add 1 1/2 cups of white chocolate wafers. Proceed as per recipe.
Matcha Green Tea and White Chocolate
Add 1 Tbsp of matcha green tea powder with flour, baking soda and salt. After steps 1 and 2, stir in 1 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips. Proceed with recipe.
Mix 3 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup chopped walnuts in a bowl. Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll one dough portion into a 10×10-inch square. Sprinkle 1/2 the cinnamon mixture over the dough and roll. Form roll into 2×12-inch log and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough portion. Bake as per recipe.