Angel Food Cake with Mango Lime Salsa and Vanilla Cream
- serves 12
A light and airy angel food cake topped with ripe mangoes, lime and vanilla scented cream.
1 cup cake and pastry flour, sifted (250 ml)
1 ½ cup super fine sugar (375 ml)
¼ tsp salt (1 ml)
10 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tsp cream of tartar (5 ml)
1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)
Grated zest of 1 limeSalsa
2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
½ - ¾ cup of sugar
juice and zest of 2 limes
1 cup of 35% cream
1 tsp of vanilla
¼ cup of sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift the flour, ½ cup sugar and the salt into a medium bowl. Add the zest and toss to combine.
3. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat on high until soft peaks begin to form. Very gradually, add the remaining 1 cup sugar. Continue to beat until meringue is glossy and stiff. Add the vanilla. Gently fold the flour mixture into the meringue until well blended, ensuring that you scrap the bottom of the bowl as you fold.
4. Pour into 10-inch ungreased tube pan. Bake until golden and middle springs back when touched, about 45 minutes. Invert onto the neck of a bottle. Cool completely upside down.Salsa
1. Put diced mango in a bowl and add lime juice, zest and sugar to taste. Stir and set aside.Vanilla Cream
1. Whip cream, vanilla and sugar until stiff.
2. When cake is completely cooled, run a knife around the edge of the pan and along the tube. Invert on a cake plate or platter and serve with mango salsa and vanilla cream.