Asian Spiced Chicken Wings, Breaded Celery Root, Carrot Celery Slaw and Blue Cheese Dressing
- serves 4
Anthony Sedlack's Asian-style wings with a celery slaw and blue cheese dip.
¾ cup ketjap manis
¼ cup oyster sauce
¼ cup chopped cilantro stems
1 bunch green onion, coarsley chopped
4 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp sriacha sauce
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 1 ½ inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
20 chicken wings
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toastedBreaded Celery Root
1 heads celery root, peeled and cut into wedges
1 ½ tsp salt
2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
½ cup chopped parsley
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
zest of 1 lemon
2 cup all-purpopse flour
oil for frying
celery salt for sprinklingCarrot Celery Slaw
4 celery stalks, julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepperBlue Cheese Dressing
1 ½ cup blue cheese
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp red wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl mix ketjap manis, oyster sauce, cilantro stems, green onion, garlic, ginger, sriacha sauce, and sesame oil. Add chicken wings and marinate 20 minutes - up to overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 450 F. Transfer chicken wings to a large ovenproof dish. Pour extra marinade over wings. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 40-45 minutes.
3. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.Breaded Celery Root
1. Fill a large pot with cold salted water. Add celery root and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, or until celery root is tender. Drain in colander.
2. In a shallow dish, mix panko, parsley, black pepper, salt, and lemon zest. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs to combine. In a third shallow dish, add flour.
3. Working in batches, toss the celery root in flour, shaking off excess. Place in eggs to coat and then panko mixture. Lay on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining celery root.
4. In a large heavy pot, pour oil to reach 4 inches in depth. Heat oil to 360 F. Fry the breaded celery root for 4-6 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with celery salt.Carrot Celery Slaw
1. In a medium bowl, mix celery and carrot to combine.
2. In a small skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat and add oil to celery and carrot.
3. Add lemon juice and toss to combine.
4. Season with salt and pepperBlue Cheese Dressing
1. In a blender, mix all ingredients. Season to taste with black pepper.