Beignets with Cinnamon and Sugar
- serves 10
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour (310 ml)
¼ cup all purpose flour, for kneading and rolling (60 ml)
1 tsp baking powder (5 ml)
¼ tsp baking soda (1 ml)
1 tsp nutmeg (5 ml)
½ tsp salt (2 ml)
1 Tbsp sugar (15 ml)
½ Tbsp instant rapid rise yeast (7 ml)
½ cup milk (125 ml)
2 cup vegetable oil, for frying (500 ml)
cinnamon sugar and icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. In a medium bowl, combine the 1¼ cup all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, nutmeg and yeast.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the flour is incorporated. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and slightly sticky to the touch, adding more flour if necessary. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl dusted with a little flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
4. Preheat oil for frying in heavy skillet.
5. Punch dough down and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Using your hands, pat down dough until it’s about ¼-inch thick. Cut into 2-inch squares.
6. When oil registers 365 degrees F, fry beignets in batches until golden and puffed. Turn beignets over and fry until golden on the other side. Transfer beignets to a tray lined with paper towel to drain.
7. Dust with cinnamon and/or icing sugar. Serve.