Blackened Catfish Tacos
- prep time10 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Bigon and Ashley Fulks.
2 8 oz skinless fillets American catfish
¼ cup Creole seasoning
4 oz peanut or canola oil
4 yellow corn tortillas
6 oz Ma & Pa Slaw (see recipe below)
¼ red onion, julienned
1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch slices
¼ cup Thousand Island dressing
¼ cup cilantro, for garnish (optional)Ma & Pa Slaw
¼ head red cabbage
¼ head white cabbage
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
1. Slice catfish fillets lengthwise down the middle. Cover one side of the sliced fillets completely with creole seasoning.
2. Heat a frying pan with oil over medium heat and sear the catfish fillets until they reach the internal temperature of 145ºF (63ºC).
3. In a second fry pan, warm tortillas over medium heat, for about 15 seconds per side.
4. Place blackened catfish fillets on warm tortillas. Add 1.5oz of Ma & Pa Slaw to each taco, then top with onions and two slices of avocados. Garnish with a dollop of Thousand Island dressing and a few leaves of cilantro.Ma & Pa Slaw
1. Julienne the red and white cabbage—either by hand or in a food processor—and place in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, sugar and lime juice. Pour the dressing mixture over the cabbage and toss until thoroughly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.