Carne Con Ahuacate Tlacollos (Steak with Avocado and Refried Bean Tortillas)
- serves 1
Recipe Courtesy Dos Amigos Mexican Food Restaurant, Toronto.
1 cup corn flour (250 ml)
½ cup of water (125 ml)
Pinch of table salt
½ tsp canola oil, for tlcaollas (2 ml)
1 cup refried black beans (90 grams)Carne con Ahuacate
8 oz New York steak (227 grams)
¼ ¼ red pepper, sliced
½ ½ small cooking onion, sliced
¼ ¼ avocado
1 Tbsp roasted sliced almonds (15 ml)
½ cup green tomatillo sauce (125 ml)
½ cup chile ancho sauce (125 ml)
½ tsp garlic powder (2 ml)
Pinch of black pepper
canola oil, for griddle
1. Mix the corn flour, water, salt and 1/2 tsp. canola oil in a large bowl until it forms a dough. Roll dough into a 2-inch diameter ball. Flatten the 2-inch ball with a roller to a ¼-inch thick flat tortilla ( i.e. large enough so that it can be folded together).
2. At centre of tortilla, put the refried black beans then fold the tortilla to cover the beans and flatten to a tortilla shape again. (This is the Tlacollo). Brush canola oil on both sides of the Tlacollo.
3. Place the Tlacollo on a pre-heated griddle or frying pan for 2 minutes. Cook until tlacallo is a crispy gold colour.Carne con Ahuacate
1. Marinate the New York steak with garlic, pepper and salt and little oil.
2. Put the steak on a preheated griddle or large frying pan and cook until medium rare. Set aside until ready to assemble.
3. Heat another large frying pan. Add canola oil and then add onions and peppers until the onions have softened. Add the green tomatillo and chile ancho sauce. Simmer for about 2 minutes. At this point slice the New York steak (do not slice the steak earlier) and place slices in the pan. Add the avocado and almonds and let simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Place 2 tlacollos on a large plate. Place slices of steak on top of the Tlacollos and add the remaining sauce and vegetables.