Cheater Souvlaki with Pita, Tzatziki and Grilled Vegetables
- prep time20 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
4 clove cloves of garlic
Heavy freezer bag (large)
1 tsp oregano
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup white wine
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 large large chicken breasts (approx 1 1/2-2 lbs / 675-900 g)
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp dried dill (fresh is better if you have it)
1 tsp garlic (in a jar)
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
1 small zucchini
1 red onion
1 stalks celery stalk
7 mushrooms (quartered)
1 green pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning
Prepared marinated chicken
¼ cup crumbled feta
2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes (from a jar) (optional)
4 ( 8”) pita pockets
1. Smash garlic cloves with the back of a wide knife. Peel and finely chop.
2. In a strong freezer bag, add the following ingredients; chopped garlic, oregano, olive oil, wine and lemon juice. Swish the ingredients around to combine.
3. Cut chicken into large chunks, adding to bag as you cut. Before closing the bag, massage the sauce into the chicken pieces while holding the bottom of the bag.
4. Lay the bag on the counter, holding the open side straight up. Fold toward you and seal. Place in fridge, flat, until you are ready to serve dinner.
5. Prepare tzatziki in a small bowl with lid, combining the following; sour cream, dill, garlic and spice. (If and only if I have the time, I chop up fresh garlic.
6. Cover and place in fridge.
7. When you’re ready to make dinner…
8. Heat oven to 450°F (230º C).
9. Cut veggies in large chunks (so kids can pick out what they don’t like) tossing into a large cake or lasagna pan as you cut.
10. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with spice. You can use any veggie that grills nicely.
11. Pour the bag of chicken with marinade into another cake or lasagna pan.
12. Place both the chicken pan and veggie pan in the oven at the same time. Set timer for 20 minutes. When the timer rings, remove veggies. Drain part of the liquid from the chicken pan.
13. Put the chicken back into the oven on a low broil. Toss veggies into a bowl with feta and sun dried tomato. When chicken starts to get a few brown edges, remove from oven and stuff the pita pockets with whatever components you like (or eat it all separately).