Cheddar and Apple Buttermilk Scones
- prep time15 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 24
Buttermilk tanginess and apple sweetness make for scrumptious scones.
3 cup (750 mL) flour
2 ½ tsp (12 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
¾ cup (180 mL) unsalted butter, chilled
1 ½ cup (375 mL) Canadian Cheddar cheese, grated
¾ cup (180 mL) dried apples, diced
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk, plus 1 tbsp (15 mL), for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 425F (220 F).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. Using a box grater on the largest holes, grate the chilled butter into the flour mixture and rub with fingertips until it resembles large flakes. Stir in cheese and apples. Make a well in the mixture and add the buttermilk. Using a fork, gently incorporate it in the flour just until combined.
4. Turn the dough onto a large piece of parchment paper and pat down into a large disk. Using the paper for help, fold the mixture onto itself 4-5 times. Pat dough down to a 1/2- inch (1 cm) thick circle.
5. Cut out desired shapes with biscuit cutters and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining buttermilk and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.