2 lb(s) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 cup heavy cream
½ cup unsalted butter
Butter, for baking pan
4 cup all purpose flour
1 ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
3 ½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
3 cup buttermilk
6 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 medium beet, peeled, grated
Marzipan, store-bought (not almond paste)
1. Heat the cream to a boil and pour over the chopped chocolate. Allow chocolate to melt.
2. When softened, stir with a spatula to incorporate chocolate and cream and stir in the butter.
3. Let sit 5 hours.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter one 12- by 18-inch rectangular cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
5. Beat the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
6. Beat in the sour cream.
7. Add the butter and grated beets and mix until fully incorporated.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of each cake comes out clean.
9. Transfer the cakes to racks and let cool completely in the pan.
1. Invert the cake onto a cake board or large baking sheet and peel off the paper.
2. Set on a large plate and spread chocolate frosting on top.
3. Spread frosting all around the sides of the cake.
4. Use the marzipan to make decorations for the cake to create your own birthday theme.