Chorizo Sloppy Joe with Manchego Cheese
- prep time1 min
- total time 83 min
- serves 20
Recipe by Rob Rossi from Top Chef Canada Episode 11.
¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
6 clove garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
3 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp chili flakes
1 Tbsp cumin, ground
6 dried chorizo sausages, ground
½ lb(s) ground pork
½ lb(s) ground beef
½ cup tomato paste
1 12 oz can pureed tomatoes
1 cup water, plus a few tablespoons more if neededAssembly
20 small small soft dinner rolls
Chorizo Sloppy Joe
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cup Manchego Cheese, grated
2 green onions, thinly sliced on a bias
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Le Creuset French Oven over medium high heat.
2. Add onions to pot, cook until tender and translucent, approximately 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, bay leaves, smoked paprika, black pepper, chili flakes and cumin. Stir.
4. Add chorizo and break up with a wooden spoon. Sauté until golden and fat has rendered, approximately 10 minutes.
5. Add ground pork and beef, sauté until meat is cooked, approximately 10 minutes. Drain excess fat.
6. Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add pureed tomatoes and water. Cook for approximately 30-45 minutes, skimming fat occasionally. Add more water, if necessary.
8. Keep warm before serving.Assembly
1. Spoon Chorizo Sloppy Joe in buns, drizzle with olive oil.
2. Garnish with Manchego Cheese and green onions, serve.