- prep time30 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 6
A classic French meat pie with shortcrust pastry by Chuck Hughes!
4 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 Tbsp canola oil
3 lb(s) ground pork
3 lb(s) ground veal
4 potatoes, grated
1 cup veal stock
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground clove
Salt and pepper
12 rolled-out shortcrust pastry, homemade or store-bought (see enclosed recipe)
2 eggs beaten with a little water for egg washShortcrust Pastry
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
6 Tbsp ice water, approximately
1. In a large saucepan, soften the onions and garlic in the oil. Add the meat and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring to crumble the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes begin to fall apart. Let cool. Adjust the seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until completely chilled.
2. With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F).
3. Line six 23-cm (9-inch) pie plates with pastry. Cover with the cooled meat mixture. Cover with a second crust. Brush with egg wash. Make an incision in the center. Press the edge to seal with a fork or your fingers. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the crust is golden brown.Shortcrust Pastry
1. In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse for a few seconds at a time until the butter is the size of peas. Add the water and pulse again until the dough just begins to form. Add water as needed. Remove the dough from the food processor and form two discs.
2. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured work surface or between two sheets of parchment paper in a 3 to 4-mm (1/8-inch) thick sheet. Use the dough to make a 2-crust pie or line two 23 to 25-cm (9 to 10-inch) pie plates.