Chunky Summer Gazpacho
- serves 6
1 tsp peppercorns
4 parsley stems
2 sprig thyme
1 cup tomato juice with bouquet garni (250 mL)
½ medium red onion, chopped
¼ red bell pepper, chopped
¼ green pepper, chopped
¼ English cucumber chopped
¼ zucchini, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 large tomatoes, core removed, cut into sections
½ cup cubed, day old white bread (125 mL)
¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley (50 mL)
2 Tbsp olive oil (salad quality) (25 mL)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar (25 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
Dash of hot pepper sauce
1. Bouquet Garni: Into a small square of cheesecloth place peppercorns, parsley stems, thyme and bay leaf. Tie end with string and use to infuse tomato juice.
2. Heat tomato juice with bouquet garni to infuse flavour. Cool.
3. In a food processor, pulse together onion, red and green peppers, cucumber, zucchini and garlic to a coarse consistency. Remove mixture to a bowl and reserve.
4. Place tomatoes and bread in the bowl of a food processor.
5. Pulse to chop, controlling how finely this is chopped. Add to the reserved vegetables. Add chopped parsley. Alternatively, you can finely dice all vegetables by hand.
6. Stir cooled tomato juice, olive oil, and wine vinegar into the vegetable mixture. Season with salt and Tabasco sauce. If the mixture is too thick, it can be thinned with one half cup ice water or more tomato juice to reach the desired consistency.
7. Soup is best when it is able to cool in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
8. Optional: Stir in 1/2 cup vodka