Classic Nanaimo Bars
- prep time15 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 18 - 24
The earliest Nanaimo bar was found in Edith Adam’s cookbook from 1953. This version of the Canadian classic is served at Hearthstone Artisan bakery in Nanaimo, BC.
315 g graham cracker crumbs
175 g sweet and fancy shredded coconut
68 g chopped walnuts
63 g cocoa powder
113 g sugar
169 g butter, melted
11 g vanilla extractFilling
142 g butter at room temperature
40 g custard powder
13 g vanilla bean paste
625 g icing sugar, sifted
95 g milkChocolate Topping
256 g dark chocolate
83 g butter
1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl.
2. Blend together until fully incorporated.
3. Press evenly into lined 9x13 cake pan, set aside.Filling
1. Cream together butter and custard powder until fluffy.
2. Add in icing sugar, milk and vanilla bean paste, beat again until smooth and fluffy.
3. Spread mixture evenly over base and put in the fridge while melting chocolate in the next step.Chocolate Topping
1. Chop up chocolate into small pieces.
2. Place chocolate in metal bowl with butter.
3. Set bowl over a boiling pot of water and stir with a heat proof spatula until melted, chocolate should be smooth and shiny.
4. Remove the pan from the fridge and pour chocolate over cold base and spread evenly on top.
5. Chill in the fridge for approx. 5 minutes until the chocolate is almost set. Score and cut the bars before they set.
6. Keep bars refrigerated until ready to eat.
Recipe courtesy of Haley Mannynvali from Hearthstone Artisan Bakery in Nanaimo, BC.