Easy, Creamy Mixed Mushroom Soup with Baked Brie Cheese
- serves 8
A medley of flavourful mushrooms is the highlight of this warm, hearty dish. Courtesy of Chef Corbin Tomaszeski for Cook for the Cure 2013.
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cooking onion, diced small
1 whole leek, sliced thin
2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup oyster mushrooms, chopped
1 cup portobello mushrooms, chopped
½ cup chanterelle mushrooms, chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup dry white wine
6 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 lb(s) Yukon Gold potatoes, raw, peeled and diced small
1 cup heavy (35%) cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
8 piece 4-inch bread rounds, toasted
8 15 g slices Brie cheese
1. In a large soup pot melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the onion and leeks to the melted butter-olive oil mixture and sauté until the onions are translucent in colour. Add the all of the mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the half-cooked mushrooms and mix thoroughly.
2. Add the wine and stock to flour-coated mushrooms and stir immediately with a wire whisk or wooden spoon to avoid lumps from forming. Add the diced Yukon Gold potatoes to the mushroom base and simmer the soup mixture on medium-high heat until the potatoes are tender (about 30-40 minutes).
3. Note: Stir the soup periodically to prevent the soup from scorching or sticking to the bottom of the soup pot.
4. Once the soup is cooked through and slightly thickened, add the heavy cream and the finely grated Parmesan Cheese. Remove the soup from the heat and stir well to incorporate the cream and cheese.
5. Complete the soup by adding sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Fill eight French onion soup bowls/croques with the hot soup. Place one slice of Brie cheese onto each toasted bread roud and place them separately into each filled soup bowl. Gratinee the filled soup bowls under a broiler until the cheese melts. Remove the heated soup from the broiler and serve while the soup is still hot.