Filet Steak with Shrimp Peppercorn Sauce
- prep time5 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 5
A hearty steak with loads of flavour, ready in under half an hour.
5 (2-inch-thick) beef filet steaks (about 10 oz each)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp salted butter
1 Tbsp olive oilSauce
2 Tbsp salted butter
8 oz shelled and deveined jumbo shrimp, (16-to 20-count), chopped
½ cup beef broth
¼ cup brandy
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp crushed peppercorns
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, then add the butter and olive oil. When hot, throw in the steaks and sear for a minute on each side.
3. Transfer the steaks to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes for medium rare or 6 to 7 minutes if you like them cooked a little more. Remove to a board, cover in foil and let rest for 5 minutes.Sauce
1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped shrimp and saute until cooked, 2 to 3 minutes, then remove to a plate. Add the broth and brandy followed by the cream and crushed peppercorns. Bring to a simmer, throw the shrimp back in, add the parsley and cook for about 2 more minutes.
2. Pour the sauce over the steaks and serve.